Graphically striking large poster, ca. 1880, advertising the pianos manufactured by Hallet, Davis & Co. of Boston. The poster shows the firm's showroom and factory at the head with the 13 models of grand and square pianos offered below, surrounded by images the medals awarded to the company. The address of 272 Washington Street, Boston, is printed at the foot. Printed by Freeman Lithographers of 134 Washington St. Folding creases, some large tears, and some foxing and toning; overall good. 28 x 36 inches (71 x 90 cm).
The Hallet & Davis Piano Company, one of the earliest American piano manufacturers, was founded in Boston in 1835. The firm was incorporated and began using the name "Hallet, Davis & Company ca. 1879. They offered a full line of square, upright and grand pianos until about 1890, when they discontinued the square piano and increased production on the ever-more-popular upright.